That faith in God gives meaning and purpose to human life;
That the brotherhood of man transcends the sovereignty of nations;
That economic justice can best be won by free men through free enterprise;
That government should be of laws rather than of men;
That earth's great treasure lies in human personality;
And that service to humanity is the best work of life.
|The Houston Junior Chamber, or Jaycees, is an organization of diverse young men and women (age 18-40) with members throughout the Houston metropolitan area. The Houston Jaycees have been providing community service, business opportunities, and leadership training to the area since 1931.
The Junior Chamber, an international organization with chapters on the local, state, national levels, seeks to develop leadership skills through community service. The Houston Jaycees' main objective is to build strong leadership skills within its members so that they may become more successful in their own lives.
The Houston Jaycees welcome you to attend and participate in any of its activities and projects. Some of the projects run by the Houston Junior Chamber include:
The areas of opportunity as defined in the Junior Chamber organization are:
- Consular Forum - The Houston Jaycees sponsor a series of cultural events honoring the Consular Corps of Houston. The proceeds from this flagship project benefit international education in the form of scholarships and endowments for local universities, including Rice University, University of Houston, University of St. Thomas, and the Institute of International Education.
- Five Outstanding Young Houstonians - Since 1932, the Houston Jaycees have recognized the outstanding young men and women of Houston for their accomplishments and contributions to the Houston community. Recipients of this award are then nominated to the Five Outstanding Young Texans and subsequently Ten Outstanding Young Americans at the national level.
- Outstanding Young Educator - Since 1966, the Houston Jaycees have been awarding outstanding volunteerism by an educator. Every year, the Jaycees participate with many fine sponsors to help recognize individuals that go above and beyond in their field.
- Toy Chest - Each year the Jaycees provide clothing, toys and household supplies to underprivileged children and their families during the holiday season.
- Star of Hope - The Houston Jaycees work with this organization benefiting the homeless by clothing drives and serving meals to their residents.
» Community Service;
» Individual Development;
» Business Development;
These broadly defined areas enable the Jaycee organization to create and run projects in a wide range of topics and interests with the main goal of leadership development through project management.
We work hard to strive for excellence in all that we do, and yes, we have a lot of fun doing it. Please join us for our next event, social, or meeting and learn what you personally can gain from becoming a Houston Jaycee.